Hot strawberry soufflés
- 150 g frozen strawberries, thawed
- ⅓ cup (75 g) sugar
- 2 tsp Kirsch, orange-flavoured liqueur, or brandy
- juice of ½ orange
- 4 eggwhites
- icing sugar, for dusting
- low-fat dairy dessert (optional), to serve (see tip)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Butter 4 x ¾-cup ovenproof soufflé dishes. Place strawberries in a bowl with sugar, liqueur and orange juice. Crush lightly using a fork. Set aside.
2. Whisk eggwhites until firm. Stir a spoonful into strawberry mixture. Lightly fold in remaining eggwhites. Spoon mixture into prepared soufflé dishes and level tops with a metal spatula.
3. Place in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 190°C. Bake for 10 minutes, until well risen. Dust soufflés with sifted icing sugar and serve on heated plates. Serve with low-fat dairy dessert, if desired.