Super simple and a hit with adults and kids alike, this recipe for ice cream sandwiches uses doughnuts instead of cookies or wafers. We've used chocolate doughnuts, but any flavour icing would taste great.
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream (see note)
- 6 iced donuts
- ¼ cup sprinkles or chopped nuts
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Freezing time: overnight
- Line an ice cream tub with baking paper and fill ice cream. Freeze overnight.
- Split doughnuts in half.
- Remove ice cream from container. Using a large, hot knife, slice ice cream and place on a doughnut base. Top with the other half of doughnut. Repeat with remaining ice cream and doughnuts.
- Roll side of sandwiches in sprinkles or mixed nuts. Set in freezer for 15 minutes if needed. Serve.
• You can use any flavour of ice cream that you like.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.