These are like a lemon poppy seed loaf met a lemon square, and became best friends!
- 225 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (115 g) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (3 g) almond extract, optional
- 260 g plain flour
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp (40 g) poppy seeds
- ¼ tsp (1g) salt
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cup (280 g) granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup (40 g) plain flour
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1½ tbsp (30 g) icing sugar
- 1½ tbsp (30 g) poppy seeds
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Makes 9 large or 16 small squares.
Chilling time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes
- Heat oven 175°C (350°F)Spray a 23cm (9 in) square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment; set aside.
- For the crust, cream together butter, granulated sugar and almond extract with a hand mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in flour, poppy seeds and salt just until combined.
- Press into bottom and 1½ cm (half an inch) up sides of prepared pan. Dock crust with a fork. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Reduce temperature to 165°C (325°F).
- For filling, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and juice followed by flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour into crust and bake until set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares, then lift squares from pan using the parchment edges. Dust with icing sugar and scatter with poppy seeds before cutting to serve.