Set yourself up with a cup of tea to enjoy with this moist lemon cake and its zesty lemon glaze.
- ¾ cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup (280 g) thick natural yoghurt
- 1¾ cups (385 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (300 g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- ¾ cup (120 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. Sift over the flour and stir until smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into a greased 24 cm fluted ring tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
4. While the cake is still hot remove from the tin and place on a plate.
5. To make the lemon frosting, gently stir together the sugar and lemon juice. Spoon over the cake and allow to set. Serve warm.