Cooked with Georgia and Dimitri at To Palio Bostani Taverna in Kalogria, these delicious little morsels are delicious served with ice cold beer, ouzo or tsipouro – a distilled grape liqueur.
- 250 g gavros (similar to anchovies), cleaned, boned and heads removed
- 1 cup (250 ml) wine vinegar or to cover
- ⅓ cup (30 g) sea salt flakes
- sliced garlic, to serve
- chopped parsley, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. To prepare anchovies, pinch the head between your thumb and forefinger and pull it off (the innards should come away too), then cut off the tail and slip out the backbone, rinse (if necessary) and pat dry.
2. Combine anchovies, white wine vinegar and salt in a glass dish. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
3. Remove anchovies from vinegar mixture with a slotted spoon and serve topped with sliced garlic and parsley.