Meatball, bean and sauerkraut soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, halved, sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into batons
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400 g can butter beans, drained, rinsed
- 410 g can sauerkraut, drained, rinsed
- 300g minced lean veal
- ¼ cup (15g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 eschallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. To make meatballs, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with hands to combine. Season well. With wet hands, roll mixture into walnut-size balls. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium. Cook onion for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add carrot and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Add stock and 3 cups water. Bring to boil. Add meatballs and simmer for 10 minutes, until cooked.
3. Stir through beans and sauerkraut and simmer for 5 minutes to heat through. Serve.