This salad is about as tropical as it gets featuring fruits, mint, lime juice and banana blossom. It almost looks too good to toss.
- 4 cups shaved fresh palm hearts (use a peeler)
- 1 cup shaved honeydew melon
- 1 cup shaved rockmelon
- 1 cup shredded green papaya
- 1 cup teenage coconut, sliced into strips
- 12 lychees, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup hibiscus petals
- 1 cup finely sliced banana blossom(the flower of the banana plant, optional)
- ½ tsp finely sliced red chilli
- 2 tsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp good-quality fish sauce
- 2 limes, juiced
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Shave, shred and slice all the ingredients shortly before serving.
2. Assemble the palm heart, melon, papaya, young coconut, lychees, mint, hibiscus petals, optional banana blossom and chilli in a bowl and dress with the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.
• The complete dish is best served with ice-cold beer or tall icy tropical cocktails.