It may take a while to peel the pomelo, but you can sometimes find pre-peeled segments at select Asian grocers.
- 450 g queen crab legs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pomelo, peeled, flesh pulled from segments and broken into fine pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks (or spiralised)
- ½ English cucumber, seeds removed, sliced into thin matchsticks (or spiralised)
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, chopped
- ¼ cup Thai basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup mint, chopped
- ¼ cup coriander, chopped
- ½-¾ cup nuoc cham dipping sauce (see note).
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- To cook the crab legs, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the crab legs and cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool, then crack and remove meat.
- Heat 1 ½ inches (3.8 cm) vegetable oil in a deep saucepan until simmering.
- Add garlic and shallots slices and fry until golden. Remove from the oil and set aside on paper-towel lined plate.
- Once crab has cooled, tear crab into fine strands and toss with pomelo flesh, carrots, cucumber, roasted cashews, Thai basil, mint, and cilantro.
- Dress with nuoc cham dipping sauce, adjusting to taste. Toss to combine.
- Serve garnished with crispy shallots and garlic.
● Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar in a small heatproof bowl. Pour ½ cup hot water over top and stir until sugar has dissolved. Let cool. Meanwhile, add g1 minced garlic clove and 1 chopped Thai chilli to a bowl or mortar. Add 2 tablespoons of lime juice and use a pestle or fork to mash together. Add garlic mixture to fish sauce mixture and stir well to combine.