This wholesome stew is finished with fresh orange zest, which elevates the flavours and adds brightness.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 kg spicy pork sausages, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 kg capsicums in assorted colours and Cubanelle peppers, seeds removed and chopped into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 ¼ cup (310 ml) red wine
- 4 large tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 4 sprigs of fresh oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest of half an orange
- Crusty bread, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove sausages from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers to the skillet and cook until soft, then add red wine, tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil. Season
- Return sausage to the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Finish with the zest of half an orange. Serve with crusty bread.