Kalamata olives and ripe red tomatoes bring salty and sweet bursts to these Greek scrambled eggs.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 4 plum-ripe tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp fresh mint or oregano, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Greek feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup Greek kefalotyri cheese, grated
- parsley, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic, and olives and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until most of the tomato juices have evaporated.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, mint or oregano, and cheeses. Pour egg mixture into frying pan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 3 to 5 minutes, or until desired doneness.
3. Serve warm, garnished with parsley and seasoned with salt and pepper.