- 6 large banana leaves
- olive oil, for brushing
- 200 g green lobster or prawn meat
- 400 g white fish fillets, skin removed and pin-boned
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cm knob ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red Asian eschallots, finely chopped
- 2 small green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- barbecued breadfruit and barbecued bananas, to serve
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 small green pawpaw, peeled and finely grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped, plus extra, to serve
- 1 lime, juiced, plus extra, to serve
- salt and pepper, to taste
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Preheat the oven to 230°C and place a pizza stone or heavy-based oven tray inside to preheat.
Cut the banana leaves into twelve 30 cm squares and run under an open flame for 30 seconds to soften them. Lightly brush the leaves with olive oil.
Cut the seafood into small cubes – do not use a food processor as this will make the mousse rubbery. Add the garlic, ginger, eschallot and chilli and mix together well. Add the egg and mix again until well combined, then set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
For the carrot salad, place all the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Season to taste.
Place 100 g of the fish mixture into the centre of 2 oiled banana leaves in a log shape. Wrap the mixture in the leaves as if you are wrapping a parcel, making sure no mixture can escape. Secure with butchers twine and repeat with the remaining mousse and banana leaves.
Place the parcels on the pizza stone or tray and cook for 5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 5 minutes.
To serve, unwrap the parcels, reserving any juices that come out and serve with the carrot salad, roasted banana and breadfruit and some fresh lime and chilli.