Garlic, thyme and mushrooms - it's a simple dish, but shows how good ingredients work together.
- 6 large king brown mushrooms
- 4½ tbsp (90 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Fino sherry, to drizzle
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Flaky sea salt
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Slice mushrooms lengthwise in half, then cut shallow crosshatch pattern over mushroom stalks.
- Heat a large grill pan or frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, or until garlic is pale golden. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic and thyme to small plate, leaving oil in pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Place mushrooms cut side down in pan. Drizzle with remaining oil. Drizzle with a little sherry and cook for about 2 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Turn mushrooms over. Spoon reserved garlic and thyme over mushrooms. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to warm plates. Sprinkle with parsley and salt and serve immediately.