This is a traditional dish, originally from Volos. Any good-quality chunky sausages can be used.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 large (350 g) red capsicum, halved, sliced into horizontal strips
- 1 large (350 g) yellow capsicum, halved, sliced into horizontal strips
- 2 small (300 g) green capsicums, halved, sliced into horizontal strips
- 2 medium (300 g) red onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium (300 g) Greek village sausages, sliced
- 2 cups fresh tomato sauce (approx 6 tomatoes)
- 2 small dried red chillies, crumbled
- 150 ml water
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the capsicum and onion, and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place in a large saucepan, leaving the oil in the pot.
2. Add sausages to oil in frying pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown.
3. Meanwhile, if using fresh tomatoes, make sauce by processing the tomatoes.
4. Add the sausages to the large saucepan with capsicum and onion. Place the saucepan over medium heat. Add the fresh tomato sauce, chilli and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.