Who can resist anything crumbed, fried and topped with crunchy chilli, garlic and onion. Especially with the twang of a pickled cucumber underneath.
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber, peeled
- 55 g (¼ cup) sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 large sprig dill, chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced on the angle
- ½ bunch spring onions, thinly sliced on the angle, plus extra for garnish
- 12 oysters, freshly shucked, shells reserved, cleaned and dried
- 150 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 60 g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Lime wedges, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Use a vegetable peeler, slice the cucumber lengthways into ribbons until you reach the seed core. Discard the core.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and vinegar with a good pinch of salt. Add the cucumber ribbons to the pickling mixture with the chopped dill, toss to coat and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli and spring onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Toss with a good pinch of salt.
4. Prepare three separate bowls; one with flour, the second with whisked egg and milk and the third with the panko breadcrumbs. Dip the oysters one by one into the flour, then the egg mixture and finally the breadcrumbs, ensuring they’re well coated each time.
5. Heat 3 cm vegetable oil in a large deep frying pan to 180°C. Shallow fry the oysters for a couple of minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
To serve, drain the pickled cucumber, then divide amongst the oyster shells. Place the fried oysters on the cucumber and top with the crunchy chilli, garlic and onion. Serve with lime wedges and a little extra chopped spring onion.