Think zesty, fresh and summer-y all in one bowl!
- 1 pink grapefruit, segmented
- 565 g can pitted lychees, drained
- ½ papaya, peeled, thinly sliced
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 1 mango, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 pomelo*, segmented
- 3 tsp sambal oelek (see Note)
- 90 g (⅔ cup) grated palm sugar (gula jawa)
- 80 ml (⅔ cup) kecap manis
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
To make syrup, whisk together ingredients until sugar has dissolved. Combine fruits in
a large bowl and serve with spicy syrup.
Pomelo is a large citrus that’s similar in flavour to grapefruit. It is available from selected greengrocers and Asian food shops.
Sambal oelek, from supermarkets and Asian food shops, is a very hot Indonesian seasoning made from chillies and soy sauce.
As seen in Feast Magazine, Issue 14, pg76.
Photography by Armelle Habib