Bright, fresh and crisp, this salad heralds the delight of wild herbs and edible flowers in springtime.
- 4 small turnips, peeled
- 4 green onions, bulbs only
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 small artichokes, peeled
- 20 g green peas
- 2 asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar reduction
- 6 wild sorrel
- 4 leaves Alliaria petiolata, Brassicaceae (garlic mustard)
- 3 stems Cardamine pratensis (cuckoo flower)
- 6 Primula officinalis, Primulaceae (primrose)
- 4 Galium verum flowers (lady's bedstraw)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Use a mandoline to finely slice vegetables.
In a mixing bowl, combine vegetables with 1 tsp olive oil and salt. Transfer to a serving bowl, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Place herbs and edible flowers in same mixing bowl and coat with remaining oil and salt. Place on top of the vegetables and serve.