A zesty, slightly spicy chicken and rice that brings a healthy meal to the table in no time.
- 3 long red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (75 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 200 g chicken breast fillets, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 300 g snake or green beans, finely sliced
- steamed rice
- coriander (cilantro) leaves
- lime wedges
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Place the chilli, ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, vinegar and sugar in a deep frying pan over high heat and cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture is reduced and thickened slightly.
2. Add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes. Turn the chicken, add the beans and continue to cook for a further 3–4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
3. Serve the chicken and beans with steamed rice, mint, basil and coriander leaves and lime wedges.