So simple, yet so good! Stir-fried morning glory is a fantastic healthy side dish, which is often served as part of an office rice meal. It’s also served at big family meals as part of a shared feast.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, cut in half lengthways
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) morning glory (water spinach)
- 1 tsp fermented yellow soy beans (see Note)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Heat a wok over high heat and add the vegetable oil. When the oil is smoking add the garlic, chilli and morning glory and toss together quickly.
2. Add 2 tablespoons water and the fermented soy beans. Toss the soy beans through evenly, then transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.
• Fermented yellow soy beans can be purchased from most Asian supermarkets.
Recipe from Street Food Vietnam by Jerry Mai, Smith Street Books, RRP $39.99