This salad is so crunchy and sweet you can eat it with a spoon, and never stop. Tomato and pomegranate work so very well together, so give this recipe a go next time you notice them on your grocer's shelves.
- 200 g red cherry tomatoes, cut into 5 mm dice
- 200 g yellow cherry tomatoes, cut into 5 mm dice
- 200 g tiger or roma (plum) tomatoes, cut into 5 mm dice
- 4 medium vine tomatoes, cut into 5 mm dice (500 g net)
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), cut into 5 mm dice (120 g net)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced (120 g net)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed (170 g net)
- 3 tsp picked small oregano leaves, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
In a large bowl, mix together the tomato, capsicum and onion and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, allspice, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, olive oil and salt, until well combined. Pour dressing over tomato mixture and gently combine.
Arrange salad and juices on a large flat plate. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and oregano and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.