Standing somewhere between ice-cream and frozen yoghurt, Shane likes to pair this frozen dessert with a slice of sweet, crispy m'hencha.
- 300 ml thick, pourable cream
- 300 ml plain Greek yoghurt
- 350 g caster sugar
- 300 ml milk
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest and juice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Freezing time: 8 hours
- Place the cream in a large bowl and whisk just until soft peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, place the yoghurt, sugar, milk, lemon zest and juice and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Gently whisk the yoghurt mixture into the cream until well combined. Don’t worry if there are a few lumps – the mixture goes back into the food processor once frozen.
- Pour into a 1.5-litre capacity shallow container, cover and freeze for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight or until firm.
- Remove the ice-cream from the freezer, cut into chunks and blend in a processor until smooth and creamy. Return to the container, cover and freeze for another 2 hours or until firm again.
Join Shane Delia and friends for A Middle East Feast on SBS Food and SBS On Demand.