Even John Oliver can’t believe Last Week Tonight chose The Donald as this week’s main story, but you put a mutton chop in front of a tiger and it’s gonna get eaten eventually.
Oliver took on various aspects of the Trumpian doctrine (or lack thereof), casting light on his tendency to flip-flop and flop-flip depending on the angle of his publicity compass. Is Trump racist and anti-choice? Or pretending to be racist and pro-choice?
Here are the highlights:
1. He introduced the story in the knowledge that “every time his [Trump’s] name is said out loud, he has a shattering orgasm.”
2. He compared Trump's ascending campaign as a growing back mole that can’t be ignored anymore.
3. He conceded that Trump rallies are entertaining, cutting to Trump’s impression of a sweating fellow candidate, Marco Rubio.
4. He recalled the time Trump wished haters and losers a “happy 9/11”.
5. Trump claimed Oliver had invited him to appear on the show on four occasions, maintaining the lie even after being proved a liar.
6. “I’m rich, therefore I tell the truth” has the same internal logic as 'I’m a vegan, therefore I know karate'."
7. He called Trump on the false claim of self-funding his campaign, revealing that he’s collected nearly $7.5 million in individual contributions from the public.
8. Trump’s thin skin is brought to light, through his inability to let go of a Vanity Fair insult calling him a “short-fingered vulgarian.”
9. He likened Trump's catchphrase “I’ll sue you” to Sheldon from the The Big Bang Theory’s “Bazinga”.
10. He played a clip of young Ivanka Trump recalling the time her father compared his actual wealth to a homeless man they passed on the street.
11. He quoted what Trump has said determines his bank balance – feelings.
12. He questioned the guaranteed quality of the Trump brand, listing failures that include steaks sold at the electronics store chain – The Sharper Image.
13. He suggested that a deposition quote from Trump’s son on the family brand would serve as a more accurate campaign slogan.
14. He tripped up Trump on criticising former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, then reversing his position after receiving Duke’s support.
15. He highlighted Trump’s answer to ISIS: “When you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families.”
16. He concluded the bit by revealing (in a very Trump fashion) that the Trump family name was once “Drumpf”. For real.
Here's the full 22 minutes of magic: