The divided city of future Paris isn’t one we’d want to visit, but it can’t be denied that the powerful side of Trepalium’s wall has invented some pretty cool stuff.
By
Jeremy Cassar

29 Jun 2016 - 9:43 AM  UPDATED 29 Jun 2016 - 9:43 AM

In Trepalium, now available on SBS On Demand, the vision of future Paris is haunting and foreboding. It’s a city where employment is currency; where 80 percent of unemployed Parisians are walled off in a poverty-stricken hellhole, leaving the remaining 20 percent who are gainfully employed to live in a deceptively magnificent metropolis.

But while none of us would opt to live in this particular speculative future, the elite Parisians have taken our existing technology to a logical and enviable place.

 

Let’s start with the “good side” of the wall... there’s no denying it’s one hell of a cityscape 

 

Closer up, and the architecture is just as impressive

 

 

Some interiors even implement Escher’s sensibilities, though no character has walked upside down thus far, so I’m guessing it’s a case of style over practicality

 

And if you work a surveillance job that you hated, at least your workplace looks plush

 

Though, anyone lucky enough to win the employment "lottery" to make it over the wall, or already working a menial job, isn’t living in one of the fancy looking buildings

 

This future has mastered the seamless, public projection of an image and they rub it in the poor’s faces with a series of images of how awesome it is on the other side

 

The employed are lucky enough to own the following phones

 

The rectangular edges glow and the thing is about the size of an NBA collector card

 

Speaking of cards, ID cards are interactive. The image of that guy’s face moves. Not sure why, but it does

 

And, of course, a multi-panel interactive glass wall is a must-have for those of means

 

Want a tattoo but prefer the pain to come all at once? Get yourself an instant tattoo

 

 

Though unfortunately most tattoos are unwanted, as this technology is used to brand the lower class

 

In other news, this future society has made great strides in the effective integration of artificial limbs

 

They also make pretty cool chairs

 

The police’s guns aren’t overly intimidating, but maybe that’s part of their effectiveness

 

An incongruity that is compensated by the most awesome invention of all: double-tap-to-open storage

 

All 6 episodes of Trepalium are available on SBS On Demand.

Watch the first episode right now:

More on The Guide
The 10 most steamy series on TV
Clutch the pearls...
This dystopian drama makes The Hunger Games look like Play School
The epic new miniseries Trepalium on SBS On Demand gives us hope for adult dystopian stories working well on TV. And there’s a huge wall. People like huge walls.
Hard is a hilarious karate chop to modern porn
The French dramedy places the instant gratification of over-the-top, in-and-out, male-driven porn under the microscope, without letting women off the hook.