Remember the good old days of TV when Batman used to dance? We sure do, which is why we're here to announce that the original Batman is back!
Batman and Robin, the caped crusaders, will return Friday July 21st at 6:30pm, with the live-action series airing double episodes weekly on SBS VICELAND!
The late great Adam West starred as Batman, with Burt Ward as his dutiful Boy Wonder Robin. Back when the show debuted in 1966, it was an instant smash hit, with its stars becoming household names. The pop-art sensibility of the show immediately struck a chord with viewers, many of whom were experiencing colour TV for the first time.
Now, thanks to the boffins programming SBS VICELAND, you can now enjoy the camp adventure of the best Batman.
After hearing that Commodore Schmidlapp is in danger aboard his yacht, Batman and Robin mount a rescue mission using the Batcopter. But it's a ruse, luring Batman to shark infested waters. Thankfully Robin packed the Bat-shark repellent.
It turns out this is part of a cunning scheme by four of Gotham City's most nefarious villains - Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, and The Riddler. The ramifications of their plan extend beyond Gotham, with an eye towards impacting the United Nations. Thankfully, Batman and Robin are on the case - even if Batman, in his everyday identity as Bruce Wayne, is distracted by a romantic interest in visiting Soviet journalist "Miss Kitka".
Because the show was so popular, the producers squeezed as many episodes as they could, with 120 episodes made across just three years, with the Batman movie made at the end of the first season.
Over its first two seasons, two episodes used to air every week, with the first ending on a thrilling cliffhanger featuring our heroes in peril. Will Batman and Robin, their bodies greased with margarine be able to escape the two giant magnifying glances capturing the midday sun over their slowly cooking bodies? Viewers would only find out tomorrow at the same Bat Time, on the same Bat Channel!
- Because the show was so popular, it became a badge of honour for celebrities to make an appearance on the show. Some of the big celebrities to make an appearance on the show included Joan Collins, Ceaser Romero, Eartha Kitt, Burgess Meredith, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Milton Berle, Liberace, Vincent price, John Astin, Carolyn Jones, Roddy McDowell, and Frank Gorshin.
- After Batman finished production, star Adam West was considered to take over from Sean Connery as James Bond.
- Because he was committed to the Batman series, Burt Ward had to turn down the lead role in The Graduate, which went to Dustin Hoffman.
- The costuming department went to considerable effort to conceal the realities of Adam West and Burt Wards tight fitting superhero outfits in the crotch region.
- Thanks to the success of the show, DC Comics decided not to cancel the then-flagging Batman comic series.
Double episodes of the series begin Friday July 21st at 6:30pm on SBS VICELAND. Of course, if you aren't inclined to watch the show at the SAME BAT TIME and on the SAME BAT CHANNEL, you'll be able to watch the series after it airs on SBS ON DEMAND.