Benjamin Law, the creator of The Family Law, is both a scholar and a gentleman. That is a #fact. He is also extremely generous with his time.
So it was no surprise he was willing to come by The Playlist studio for a fantastic, wide-ranging conversation with Producer Dan and I that included…
- How much of The Family Law, now in its second series, is actually autobiographical
- What his parents think of the show
- How he gets his family onboard with the stories he tells about them
- The reality of being an Asian actor in Australia
- Whether he gets tired of being asked about diversity
- Producer Dan becoming uncomfortable as the only white man in the room
- The state of “ethnic comedy” in Australia – as well as an explanation of the tradition to me, who doesn’t get it and probably never will
Also, at one point, it becomes clear not everyone is wearing headphones and the excitement is extremely palpable.
Listen to the whole conversation here:
And watch The Family Law on Thursdays at 8:35pm on SBS. If you missed any episodes you can catch up at SBS On Demand.