Coming Up Wed 9:00 PM  AEDT
Coming Up Live in 
Punjabi radio

Older migrants can get concessions even if not eligible for age pension

A piggy bank with money sticking out of it, Wednesday, Aug. 2, 2006. (AAP Image/Alan Porritt) NO ARCHIVING**PHOTOMONTAGE** Source: AAP

'If you are aged over 66 and even if you don't receive an aged pension from Centrelink, you may still be eligible for a Seniors Health Card,' says Jyoti Aujla from the Department of Human Services. Like with aged pension eligibility, the applicant doesn't need to be an Australian citizen, and may still be able to get benefits like buying medicines at a discount.

Jyoti Aujla from the Smart Centre Operations Division of the Department of Human Services says many people - especially migrants - don't realise that even if they don't receive an aged pension from Centrelink, they may still be able to enjoy some other benefits.

"People aged over 66 can get many concessions from Centrelink, with the most important one being a Seniors Health Card. This enables them to buy cheaper medicines at pharmacies, among other benefits," says Ms Aujla.

"To be eligible, a single applicant should earn no more than $54,929 and a couple should earn $87,884 or under, to get the Seniors Health Card. In certain cases, couples can have a combined income of $109,858. It's best for people to discuss their individual cases, to confirm their eligibility." 

"As with an aged pension, permanent residency is enough, and Australian citizenship is not a necessary criterion. And Seniors Health Card holders can live overseas for up to 19 weeks without impacting their eligibility."

Ms Aujla explains that if the cardholders do go overseas for over 19 weeks, they can get a new card issued when they come back.

"It's really easy to get a new card after returning to Australia - but it is necessary for us to discontinue a card when people live overseas for a longer period of time."

Many migrants don't realise that they could be eligible for a Seniors Health Card, says Jyoti Aujla from DHS
Many migrants don't realise that they could be eligible for a Seniors Health Card, says Jyoti Aujla from DHS

She also explained other benefits like home care and care in a nursing home, which are both forms of aged care.

"This is assessed based on income, property, overseas earnings, superannuation and other assets, as well as the medical situation of the person."

"Although a majority of our services are for permanent residents and citizens of Australia, in some cases, we are able to provide special assistance to temporary migrants as well. It's best to a Centrelink office and explain your circumstances to see if any specialised service can be provided for a short period of time," adds Ms Aujla. 

"To find out more, people can ring 13 23 00 which is the Older Australian hotline at DHS, or if they need a Punjabi interpreter, call 13 12 02  for the multilingual services and ask for a person who can speak to you in Punjabi."

"We find that older people are now getting more and more tech-savvy. I suggest they subscribe to our newsletter which provides regular updates. Otherwise, all information is available on 

Please listen to the audio link above for more information. 

Listen to SBS Punjabi Monday to Friday at 9 pm. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter



Coming up next

Older migrants can get concessions even if not eligible for age pension 25/11/2019 08:56 ...
64-year-old Jeet Singh wins gold at Victorian Country Championship, claims top spot in Athletic League 27/01/2021 06:15 ...
Indian man loses $6,500 in an alleged used-car scam on Facebook Marketplace 27/01/2021 07:51 ...
26 January 2021 Australian News in Punjabi: Over 12,000 migrants became Australian citizens today 26/01/2021 10:07 ...
Pakistan Diary: Prime Minister Imran Khan appeals developed nations to give debt relief to poor countries 26/01/2021 07:11 ...
‘Historic’ tractor march rocks New Delhi as farmers’ protest intensifies on India’s Republic Day 26/01/2021 10:00 ...
Experts push for COVID-19 misinformation laws 26/01/2021 07:03 ...
Should there be a national school starting age? 26/01/2021 07:00 ...
Punjabi Diary: Tight security for farmers' tractor rally on India's Republic Day 25/01/2021 08:26 ...
Australian News in Punjabi 25 January 2021: Was today too hot to handle? Tomorrow will be hotter as heatwave continues in Australia 25/01/2021 10:50 ...
View More