Sydney Metro’s newest service – the fully automated North West Line train connecting Tallawong to Chatswood – has been made in India.
Australia’s first fully-automated rail service, the newly launched North West Line by Sydney Metro, has been made in India.
Sydney’s new-generation metro trains have been manufactured by Alstom.
Designed in France and assembled at its centre of excellence in Sri City India, these fully automated driverless metro has been made with contributions from Alstom’s operations in Australia, Brazil, China and Belgium.
Alstom has supplied 22 six-car Metropolis trains from their Sricity facility in Andhra Pradesh, India.
The Metro North West Line is Stage 1 of Sydney Metro that includes 36 km of track, 13 stations and a depot. The new network aims to provide a level of service never before seen in Australia with a train every four minutes in the peak in each direction.
The fully-automated driverless Sydney Metro trains consist of various modern features including 3 double-doors per car for improved access and passenger flows, LED lighting, large windows, emergency intercoms, CCTV cameras, the latest way-finding aids for customer information as well as real-time travel information.
“Alstom is very proud to have partnered with the NRT consortium and Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW) to deliver our world-leading metro solutions for Sydney’s North West Metro. Sydney has now joined other great cities of the world (incl. Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona and Singapore) that benefit every day from Alstom’s metro solutions. The fully automated driverless metro is a first for Australia and will provide a step-change for the commuters of Sydney” said Ling Fang, Senior Vice-President for Alstom in Asia-Pacific.
The Metro line is currently being extended from Chatswood to Bankstown via the City and by 2024 Sydney will have 31 metro stations and a 66-kilometre standalone metro railway in addition to its extensive suburban rail network.
Sydney Metro train features
- Level access between the platform and train and three double doors per side per carriage for faster loading and unloading.
- Heating and air-conditioning in all metro trains.
- A new generation of fast, safe and reliable metro train.
- At all times, a team of expert train controllers will monitor Sydney Metro, making sure everything runs smoothly.
- Wheelchair spaces, separate priority seating and emergency intercoms inside trains.
- Continuous mobile phone coverage throughout the metro network.
- Two multi-purpose areas per train for prams, luggage and bicycles.