The government says the new visa framework will make it easier to apply for these visas and reduce red tape.
Australia will soon have four new work visas in place of the existing temporary work visas and Training and Research visas.
The federal government intends to have the new framework for temporary work visas in place in November after the approval of the new legislation by the Governor General.
The new visas include Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa:
This visa will allow workers to enter Australia to undertake short-term, specialized work of a fixed duration as well as participate in activities related to Australia’s interests.
This visa would be for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:
- undertake short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work
- in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.You may also like to read
Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) Visa:
This visa will allow workers to enter Australia in relation to a bilateral agreement; to represent a foreign government, as a person with statutory privileges and immunities; or to participate in the Seasonal Worker Programme, among other activities.
This visa would be for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis:
- in relation to a bilateral agreement
- to represent a foreign government or to teach a foreign language in an Australian school
- to undertake full-time domestic work for a diplomat
- as a person with statutory privileges and immunities
- to participate in the Seasonal Worker Programme.You may also like to read
Subclass 407 Training Visa:
This visa will allow workers to enter Australia to undertake occupational training or participate in classroom-based professional development activities.
Subclass 408 Temporary Activity Visa:
This visa will allow temporary workers to enter Australia to participate in a non-ongoing cultural or social activity at the invitation of an Australian organization, observe or participate as an academic in a research project, work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement and participate in an Australian-government-endorsed event, among other activities.
This temporary visa allow one to
- work in the entertainment industry
- participate in a non-ongoing cultural or social activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
- observe or participate as an academic in a research project
- undertake full-time religious work
- participate in a special programme to enhance international relations and cultural exchange
- participate in high-level sports (including training)
- work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement
- participate in an Australian government endorsed event
- work as a superyacht crew member
- undertake full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives.You may also like to read
After the above visas come into effect on November 19, the Department of Immigration will stop accepting new applications for Subclass 401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa, Subclass 402 Training and Research visa, Subclass 416 Special Program visa, Subclass 420 Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa and Subclass 488 Superyacht Crew visa.
According to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, the new framework is designed to make applying for a temporary visa easier. The department says it would reduce red tape for business, industry and individuals by removing sponsorship and nomination requirements for specific short stay activities.
For more news and updates, follow SBS Punjabi on Facebook.