Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has made some key announcements in the Budget.
1. Australia has kept the migration program ceiling at 160,000 places, including 79,600 skilled and 77,300 Family stream places.
2. Students have been allowed to work beyond the current 40 hours per fortnight limit in the hospitality and tourism sectors.
3. Validity period for Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas has been extended by 18 months for individuals who are unable to use their visas due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.
4. Families with two or more children can now access increased childcare subsidies.
5. The budget provides an additional tax cut to more than 10 million low and middle-income earners. It will benefit individuals by up to $1,080 and couples $2,160 a year.
6. 10,000 first home buyers can build a new home with a five per cent deposit.
7. Retirement outcomes for women are also set to improve with the removal of the $450 per month threshold under which employers are exempt from paying employees the Superannuation Guarantee.
8. The government has announced $148 million into preventative health measures for women.
9. Australia to provide $37 million dollars over two years for a COVID-19 support package for India.