Rob believes in - “The Earth is my home and I feel as home here as I have felt anywhere else.”
American entrepreneur and environmental activist Rob Greenfield is living the dream by cutting down the clutter in his life to just 111 things he possesses.
Rob is a TV host on Discovery channel's show Free Ride and has written a book titled Dude Making a Difference.
He says - “The value of my possessions is about $3,000, which means everything I own-my money and my assets-total up to about $6,000. I’ve taken vows to have less than $15,000 in currency and $15,000 in possessions at a time, so at this point I’ve succeeded more than I expected in meeting my vows.”
According to Rob, the reason he has chosen to live with 111 possessions is – “I have to meet my most basic needs and to aid in living an environmentally friendly life.”
He has listed down every item he owns (with photograph) in different categories such as –
(1) Osprey Kestrel 38 backpack / (1) REI Flash 18 day backpack
(2) pairs shorts / (3) pairs pants / (2) running shorts / (5) t-shirts / (3) l/s shirts / (1) short sleeve button-down / (1) long underwear / (5) pairs underwear / (1) vest / (3) hats (brim, full brim, winter) / (1) pair of Merrel barefoot shoes / (1) pair of Xero shoes (the simplest shoes I could find) / (2) pairs socks (long and short) / (3) jackets / (1) necklace / (1) bracelet
(1) Travel pot / (3) Travel plate, bowl, and bamboo utensils / (2) klean kanteen stainless steel food canisters / (2) Reusable grocery bags / (1) Nut milk bag / (3) Ball pint jar (measuring units on sides) with 2 sprouting lids / (4) Neat-os reusable bags / (1) Hempy Scrubby / (1) Leatherman super tool 300 multi-tool / (1) Flint and steel / (1) Small quick dry towel in mesh bag
(1) Sawyer MINI water filter / (1) Grayl water purifier bottle and 3 spare filters / (1) MSR Dromedary water bag / (1) Glass water bottle
(1) Toothbrush / (1) Toothpaste (Jason Powersmile) / (2) Essential oils- tea tree oil and lavender / (1) Dr. Bronner’s soap bottle that I refill / (1) Soap nuts and canvas bag / (1) Finger nail clipper / (1) Hempy Scrubby / (1) Manual hair trimmer / (1) Massage oil bottle / (1) Large quick dry towel in mesh bag
(1) Tent / (1) Sleeping bag with stuff sack / (1) Sleeping bag liner with stuff sack / (1) Sleeping mat with stuff sack / (1) Pillow with stuff sack
ELECTRONICS, TECHNOLOGY, AND OFF THE GRID LIVING
(1) Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel / (2) iPod touch and case / (1) microphone / (1) Tripod / (1) wireless remote / (0) (I’m using Cheryl’s USB, wall plugin, and headphones) / (1) Luminoodle string light and Lithium 4400 battery including USB charging chord and bag / (1) Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp
(1) Passport in sleeve / (1) Vaccination card / (2) Notebook and pen / (1) Daily goals sheet / (1) Checks for Happy Healthy and Free and personal bank accounts / (1) Happy Healthy and Free debit card / (1) Car2go card / (1) Drivers license / (1) Social security card / (1) Birth certificate / (1) Stamp to stamp money out of politics / (1) Surgical sutures to stitch myself if needed / (1) Sewing kit (needles, thread, buttons) / (1) Scissors / (1) Stick of Palo Santo / (1) Bunch of Sage / (1) Pair of earplugs and case / (1) Paracord 550 / (1) Swimming goggles / (1) Sarong / (4) compression dry bags / (1) Patch kit for sleeping pad, tent, etc.
Rob recently got rid of his computer and says - “This exercise has made me realize the absolutely ridiculous number of possessions that I must have owned at the peak of my materialism and consumerism.”
Rob’s message is - “Support ethical companies, buy quality stuff that will last, and learn to make your own things. I wish you great success!”