This is your update on the Coronavirus in Australia for 29 October 2021.
- Victorians await easing of restrictions due to come into effect today
- NSW authorities urge residents to celebrate Halloween in a COVID-safe way
- Victoria to tighten rules around medical exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination
Victoria has recorded 1,656 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases and 10 deaths, as the state prepares for further restrictions to ease from 6 pm tonight.
Non-essential retail will reopen for the first time in weeks, and capacity limits will increase for restaurants, pubs, and cafes.
The ban on travel between Melbourne and regional Victoria will end, allowing unrestricted movement across Victoria, with metropolitan residents expected to visit the regions for the Melbourne Cup long weekend.
Masks will no longer be necessary outdoors but will still be required indoors.
Click to book your vaccine appointment today.
New South Wales
NSW recorded 268 new locally acquired cases and two deaths.
People are being asked to celebrate Halloween this weekend in a COVID-safe way. Keep celebrations outside, provide closed packaging for treats instead of communal lolly bowls and consider other ways of distributing treats.
Find a vaccination centre near you.
Last 24 hours around Australia
- ACT recorded 10 new cases, bringing the total number of active cases to 234.
- New data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows people born overseas had an age-standardised COVID-19 mortality rate of 4.2 deaths per 100,000 people, compared to one of 2.0 for those born locally.
- Victoria will tighten rules around medical exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination, after people were caught doctor shopping.
Quarantine, travel, testing clinics and pandemic disaster payment
Quarantine and testing requirements are managed and enforced by state and territory governments:
NSW Travel & transport and Quarantine
VIC Travel permit, Overseas travellers and Quarantine
ACT Transport and Quarantine
NT Travel and Quarantine
QLD Travel and Quarantine
SA Travel and Quarantine
TAS Travel and Quarantine
WA Travel and Quarantine
If you want to travel overseas, you may be able to apply online for an exemption. Click here for more information about the conditions to leave Australia. There are temporary measures for international flights that are regularly reviewed by the government and updated on the Smart Traveller website.
- News and information over 60 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus
- Relevant guidelines for your state or territory: NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory, ACT, Tasmania.
- Information about the COVID-19 vaccine in your language.
Visit the translated resources published by NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service:
Testing clinics in each state and territory:
Pandemic disaster payment information in each state and territory: