Kanhaiya Kumar declared on Thursday - “It is not azadi from India, it is azadi in India [we want]... from the corrupt practices that are going on inside the country.”
Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union (JNUSU) President Kanhaiya Kumar is now out on bail from Tihar Jail in New Delhi.
Kanhaiya Kumar who returned to the JNU campus after 21 days declared in his speech at JNU - “It is not azadi from India, it is azadi in India [we want]... from the corrupt practices that are going on inside the country.”
Thanking everyone who stood by him, he further said he still has faith in India's constitution - "We stand up for all parts of Constitution - socialism, secularism and equality."
Here are some key highlights of Kanhaiya Kumar's "home-coming" speech:-
- I have no hatred towards anybody, especially towards ABVP.
- The best thing about how JNU has stood up in one voice was that it was spontaneous
- I have many differences with the PM but I agree with his tweet - Satyameva Jayate - truth will triumph.
- They say black money will come back, sabka saath sabka vikas, equality and all that.
- Their cyber-cell will release doctored videos and count condoms in your dustbins.
- This is a planned attack to delegitimise the UGC protests, to prevent justice to Rohith Vemula.
- You cannot dilute our struggle.
- They say soldiers are dying on the borders - I salute them.
- Do not create a false debate in this country.
- We will not rest till everybody has an equal right to prosperity.
- I realised one thing in jail. We people of JNU speak in civilised voices, but we use heavy terminologies.
- And they are calling anybody who stands up for this, traitor?
- I want to remind our government that 69 per cent voted against you.
- If they can reason in a debate why JNU should be shut for four months, I will agree with them.
- They want to suppress the voice of dissent but I want to tell them, you will never be able to do that.
- Freedom from hunger, poverty, the caste system - all of that.
The Delhi High Court had granted Kanhaiya Kumar an interim bail for six months, imposing conditions such as the undertaking that he will not take part in any 'anti-national' activities.
Watch video of Kanhaiya Kumar's speech here:-