Many Australians are affected by domestic violence. It’s often women from multicultural backgrounds who don’t report abuse due to cultural, religious and language factors, as well as fear of deportation.
1. One in every three Australian women has experienced physical or sexual violence
2. Domestic violence is the leading cause of death and injury in women under 45
3. Each week, on average, a woman is murdered by her current or former partner
When urgent help is needed or an emergency is about to happen call the police on 000.
4. Women from diverse backgrounds are amongst those at the greatest risk of family violence
5. Some women on visas are afraid to report domestic abuse for fear of deportation
Get support to help make difficult decisions from friends or support workers.