Emotional abuse is a way of maintaining power or control over another person. So, what are the warning signs?
1. Verbally insulting, attacking a person’s intelligence or body image
2. Isolating the person from their family or friends
3. Controlling or limiting the person’s freedom
4. Depriving the person of money, food or transport
5. Withholding approval, appreciation or affection as punishment
If you or someone you know is experiencing emotional abuse help is available. For counselling and support anytime call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or call Lifeline on 131 114 and in an emergency call 000.
Translated factsheets are available in 28 languages.
For more information visit mindhealth connect, reachout or beyond blue.