Settlement Guide

Settlement Guide: How do I access Aged Care services?

Source: Department of Health

Cultural barriers can sometimes prevent some people from accessing aged care services - here are some of the best options.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says in a few years, 30 per cent of the population aged 65 years and above will be from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Yet, there are certain cultural barriers which can prevent some people from accessing aged care services.

The Increasing Choice in Home Care reforms which commence on 27 February 2017 will improve the way that home care services are delivered to older Australians.

Meanwhile, the Australian Government’s 'My Aged Care' facility acts as the best one-stop-shop for the whole ranged of aged care services available across the country - from chores like mowing the lawn, doing the shopping or cleaning, to complex needs, such as alternative support for accommodation.

So, where do you go when you are living at home and need aged care services?

Who do I contact if I need help to find the right care service or support for me?

Government facility My Aged Care is made up of a Call Centre and Website to help you find the services that can assist you to stay at home longer.  You can call between 8am and 8pm on weekdays and between 10am and 2pm on Saturdays on 1800 200 422 or visit


What happens next and how do I find out about the services I am eligible for?

1. First the centre staff creates a client profile for you which includes your Medicare card number, pension card number (if you have one), your doctor’s details, list of medication you are taking, your family contact person’s details, your address and phone number. You will also need to tell them what support you are currently receiving, what health problems you may have and how you are managing at home.

2. Once your client profile’s been created the centre staff takes you through the available aged care services in your area. They will advise you about what services would best suit your needs, the costs of the services, including fee estimators and give you the option to choose your service provider.

3. Once you are registered, your request is sent to a service provider. The service provider will contact you to organise a time to visit you and/or begin the required service.

4. If you have more complex needs the Aged Care Assessment Team can visit you at home to do a home assessment and work out the care support plan for you.

Is there information in my own language?

There are many local multicultural aged care facilities located around Australia. Here's is a full list of all aged care facilities in Australia

When you call 'My Aged Care', you can always ask the centre to organise an interpreter for you. Or just say the name of the language and they will connect you immediately. Or you can call TIS on 131 450 and ask them to contact the My Aged Care Call Centre for you.

My Aged Care can help you access aged care information in your language.

A number of multilingual publications relating to ageing and aged care are also available. 

Visit here for more information from My Aged Care

Visit here for more information from the Ethnic Communities Council of NSW