This resource uses six short clips from documentary We Don't Need A Map to explore Australian identity, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples' histories, knowledges and cultures. The resource includes:
- Six clips chosen specifically for classroom study;
- In-depth discussion questions;
- Practical and group activities;
- Resources to build confidence in teachers working with subject matter including discussions of January 26 / Australia Day and Australian identity;
- Detailed guidelines on building classroom respect and cultural safety;
- Opportunities for reflection and conversation.
This resource was originally developed in 2017, in partnership with Reconciliation Australia and Barefoot Communications.
Caution: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are warned that the following teacher resource may contain images, names and voices of deceased persons.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures
Year 7: ACSHE223, ELBS990
Humanities and Social Sciences (Civics and Citizenship)
Year 8: ACHCK066, ELBH908
Humanities and Social Sciences (Economics and Business)
Year 8: ACHEK028, ELBH1139