Rumours are swirling Harvey Weinstein may drop US rights to Nicole Kidman’s Grace of Monaco biopic two weeks before its Cannes Film Festival debut.
Source:
AAP
30 Apr 2014 - 8:10 AM  UPDATED 30 Apr 2014 - 8:49 AM

Industry heavyweight Harvey Weinstein may reportedly ditch US distribution rights to Nicole Kidman's biopic Grace of Monaco just two weeks before its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.

Weinstein isn't happy with the version of the film director Olivier Dahan plans to unveil on May 14, according to Variety magazine.

The film is set in the early years of the marriage between the former Grace Kelly (Kidman) and Prince Rainier III (Tim Roth).

Weinstein is said to want additional scenes about Kelly's Hollywood years and for the film to provide further context for the row between Monaco and French president Charles de Gaulle.

It's unclear if the extra scenes already exist or would have to be re-shot.

The movie was originally slated for release last November in time for the awards season, but was pulled by the Weinstein Co because it wasn't ready.

Weinstein and Dahan, who also made La Vie en Rose, have reportedly been at loggerheads since, and a second release date in March was also missed.

Dahan referenced the stand-off between he and Weinstein last October in an interview with French newspaper Liberation.

"It's right to struggle, but when you confront an American distributor like Weinstein, not to name names, there is not much you can do," Dahan said.

Last week, the Weinstein Co sent out a press release spruiking their Cannes films but had omitted Grace of Monaco.