Sony executives altered the script of its forthcoming movie 'Concussion' in order to avoid antagonising the US NFL, according to Sony hack documents seen by the New York Times.
By
Reuters

3 Sep 2015 - 1:57 PM  UPDATED 3 Sep 2015 - 2:49 PM

The script for the upcoming movie Concussion, about football-related brain trauma, was changed to avoid antagonising the National Football League, the New York Times has reported.

Citing emails between Sony studio executives that were leaked by hackers last year, the Times said marketing plans for the movie were positioned to focus on the story of a whistle-blower, rather than a condemnation of the sport.

Sony has responded to the New York Times story saying it "contains many misleading references" and that nothing had been "softened" in the film to placate anyone.

The movie, starring Will Smith as a pathologist who diagnosed a degenerative brain disease in US football players, will open in Australia in January. A first trailer was released on Monday, and the movie is seen as a potential Oscar contender.

The NFL in April settled a lawsuit brought by about 5,000 former players who accused it of covering up the dangers of concussions.

"Will (Smith) is not anti football (nor is the movie) and isn't planning to be a spokesman for what football should be or shouldn't be," Dwight Caines, the president of domestic marketing at Sony Pictures, wrote in an email on August 6, 2014, to three top studio executives about how to position the movie, according to the New York Times report.

"We'll develop messaging ... to ensure that we are telling a dramatic story and not kicking the hornet's nest," it quoted the email as saying.

Another 2014 email quoted by the Times said some "unflattering moments for the NFL" were deleted or changed, while another note said a top Sony lawyer had taken "most of the bite" out of the film.

Sony said the Times article and headline had been written "by individuals who have not seen the film (and) contains many misleading references."

"As will become immediately clear to anyone actually seeing the movie, nothing with regard to this important story has been 'softened' to placate anyone," Sony Pictures Entertainment spokeswoman Jean Guerin said in a statement.

The NFL declined to comment on the report but said in a statement it was encouraged by the focus on player health and safety.

"We all know more about this issue than we did 10 or 20 years ago. As we continue to learn more, we apply those learnings to make our game and players safer," it said. 

Recommended:
Watch Will Smith tackle gridiron head injuries in 'Concussion' trailer
Will Smith goes head-to-head with the American NFL in the first trailer for his upcoming sports drama 'Concussion'.

Sony to settle workers' lawsuit over 'Interview' hacking

Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc has reached a settlement agreement with nine former employees who had filed a lawsuit claiming that their personal data was stolen in a 2014 hacking tied to the studio's release of The Interview, a comedy film set in North Korea.

The plaintiffs' have until October 19 to submit a motion for preliminary approval of the proposed settlement case, according to a court filing. No additional details on the settlement were made public.

Sony Pictures declined to comment on the settlement.

In June, a US judge had rejected a bid by Sony Pictures, the entertainment arm of Sony Corp, to dismiss the lawsuit.

The former workers, who had sought class-action status on the suit, had said Sony's negligence caused them economic harm by forcing them to beef up credit monitoring to address their greater risk of identity theft.

The attack, which surfaced in November, wiped out massive amounts of data and led to the online distribution of email, sensitive employee data and pirated copies of new movies.

Recommended:
The Interview review: James Franco is a black hole
The true hack attack.

Watch more SBS Movies news