Earlier this week Elijah Wood made comments about sex abuse in Hollywood in an interview with The Sunday Times. Since the interview, he has taken to Twitter to say that his comments did not come from firsthand experience, but were spurred after he watched “a powerful documentary.” He made it clear that he cannot speak with authority beyond articles he’s read and films he’s seen.
Wood sparked a discussion in the media and now Corey Feldman has spoken about his firsthand experience of pedophilia in Hollywood to The Hollywood Reporter.
Feldman is a former child star and is best known for his roles in 1980s movies Goonies, The Lost Boys and Stand by Me. Feldman has spoken about how he was preyed on by older men in the industry before; it was a topic he wrote about in his memoir.
The 44-year-old claims that his late co-star Corey Haim was 11 when he experienced sexual abuse on a movie set. On Wednesday Feldman opened up to the Hollywood publication about missing his friend and about child predators in Hollywood.
In his interview Feldman spoke about his time on The Two Coreys where he says much of the alleged abuse happened to both him and Haim. He said it was worse for Haim than himself.
“He had more direct abuse than I did. With me, there were some molestations, and it did come from several hands, so to speak, but with Corey, his was direct rape, whereas mine was not actual rape. And his also occurred when he was 11,” he told THR.
Feldman talked about having a son who was 11 now and being unable to fathom anything like that happening to him. He said it makes sense that Haim became erratic and misbehaved on set.
The father admitted that it was a lot of therapy and rehabilitation that got him to where he is now. When asked if he and Haim were preyed on by the same men in the industry, Feldman simply said they both knew “every single person” that interfered with each other's lives.
While the Hollywood star wants to name names and out those who did awful things when he was young, he doesn’t think he can because he could get himself into legal problems and could be sued.
“Unfortunately, California – conveniently enough – has a statute of limitations that prevents that from happening,” he said.
Feldman claims that one of the men who committed the sexual abuse acts is still working in Hollywood. He claims it’s still very much happening in the industry – and it’s getting worse because of the digital platforms predators can target.
The documentary An Open Secret delves into the Digital Entertainment Network and looks at a Hollywood as a place where boys are raped and are forced to do cocaine at Hollywood parties.
Feldman says it was similar when he was a child star. Parties were thrown, mostly full of children with a few men. He doesn’t claim they were raped, but suggests this is where they were groomed.
The actor believes it's an important topic that needs to be in the public discussion.