Pop star Rihanna along with actresses Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter are in talks to join Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett in a female-driven spinoff of the Ocean's Eleven crime caper franchise, Hollywood trade publications reported on Wednesday.
News of the movie comes a month after the release of the all-female remake of the beloved 1980s action comedy Ghostbusters, this time starring Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, that prompted a hate-filled backlash on social media.
Production of on the Warner Bros. movie, to be called Ocean's Eight, is expected to start in October, with director Gary Ross, Hollywood websites Deadline and Variety reported.
Ross told movie website SlashFilm in June that the movie would continue the Ocean's Eleven trilogy starring George Clooney and Brad Pitt, as well as having a similar light-hearted tone.
Ocean's Eleven, in which Clooney and accomplices rob three Las Vegas casinos, made some $450 million at the worldwide box office on its 2001 release. Ocean's Twelve and Ocean's Thirteen followed, bringing in another $670 million for Warner Bros.
Actress Mindy Kaling, star of U.S. TV comedy series The Mindy Project, is also expected to join the Ocean's Eight cast, along with Asian American rapper Awkwafina.
Watch 'The Mindy Project' at SBS On Demand
Ross told SlashFilm in a June interview that the idea for Ocean's Eight had been in the works for years and that director Steven Soderbergh would be a producer on the upcoming film.
Ghostbusters, a reboot of the beloved 1984 movie with Bill Murray, stars some of America's funniest women in the entertainment industry. But ever since plans were announced a year ago for the movie, the decision to go with a new, female cast has provoked controversy online and led to the trailer earning the distinction of being the most disliked in YouTube history.
(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Sandra Maler)