3000 extra police for Sydney's NYE party

An extra 3000 police officers will patrol Sydney's streets on New Year's Eve, with authorities insisting the city will be safe for revellers of all kinds.

An extra 3000 police officers will be out on Sydney's streets on New Year's Eve to ensure revellers feel safe after this month's deadly CBD siege.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mick Fuller said there would be more than "3000 additional police out to ensure New Year's Eve is a safe and family-friendly event".

"We'll see police in the air, on the waterways and of course, in uniform ... to make sure Sydneysiders feel extremely safe coming out to enjoy New Year's Eve."

He said planning for New Year's Eve so far had not been affected by the siege at the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place earlier this month.

"We're always looking for intelligence that may change the state of play, but at this stage the planning has gone ahead as it was the month before, and the month before that," Mr Fuller said on Saturday, adding that "nothing has changed other than the way we brief police".

He said his message to those feeling worried about coming into the CBD was that "it's safe to come into the city, police will be out in record numbers to protect you".

Sydney lawyer Katrina Dawson, 38, Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson, 34, and 50-year-old gunman Man Haron Monis died in the siege that ended on December 16 when heavily armed police stormed the Lindt Cafe.

The hostage emergency came after Australia's terror threat level was raised to 'high' in September following a string of counter terrorism raids across Sydney and Brisbane.

Mr Fuller said police had "ramped up" intelligence activities since the increased terror alert, and there was a new evacuation plan for Sydney city this New Year's Eve.

"I won't discuss the information in relation to that but if there was an incident we certainly have some information points and a strategy," he said..

He said recent hoax emails outlining a potential terror threat in Sydney on NYE had been "put to bed as rubbish".

He said there was no terror-related "chatter" police were aware of "specific to New Year's Eve".

Mounted police, riot squad, PolAir, tactical operations officers and counter-terrorism police would all be deployed in Sydney on the night "to deal with anything that may arise".

He expected around 1.5 million people to attend the city on the night, noting that usually the big problem was alcohol-related crime.

"We can't forget the fact that alcohol-related crime and the problems that come with that have been the biggest challenge for Sydney," Mr Fuller said.

"It's a much much bigger threat than terrorism."

Source: AAP