Australia

ACT records first coronavirus case in a month as NSW has second day with no new infections

A COVID-19 test at Sydney's St George Hospital. Source: Getty

There's been no new COVID-19 cases in NSW for the second consecutive day, but the ACT has recorded its first new infection since the start of May.

The ACT has recorded its first case of COVID-19 in more than a month.

A man aged in his 40s, who recently returned from overseas, was the ACT's first confirmed virus case since 4 May, ACT Health said in a statement on Sunday.

"He has been in quarantine since his arrival from overseas," it said.

"A small number of close contacts have been identified and, in accordance with the national guidelines, are in quarantine."

This brings the ACT's confirmed cases to 108. The territory has suffered three deaths.

Chief Health Officer Kerryn Coleman is confident there has been no risk to the broader ACT community.

"The case is, however, a good reminder of the ongoing pandemic and the need for our community to continue to observe physical distancing and hygiene measures, and for people to stay home if they are unwell," Dr Coleman said in the statement.

"We expect that as restrictions are lifted and the movement of people around Australia increases, it is likely that cases will continue to be diagnosed around Australia, including in the ACT. "

Meanwhile, NSW has gone two days with no new COVID-19 cases and 11 days with zero locally-acquired infections.

No new cases of COVID-19 were recorded from the 9207 tests completed in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday, NSW Health said on Sunday.

It's the second day in a row the state has recorded no new cases and the 11th day of zero locally-acquired cases as the only infections reported since 27 May have been in hotel quarantine.

"It's been a fantastic response in the community and NSW Health would like to thank those with symptoms for coming forward, getting tested and helping ensure our community is safe so that cases are identified as quickly as possible," NSW Health's Dr Jeremy McAnulty said in a video update to media on Sunday.

He noted while there have been no new cases reported, it's likely the virus is still circulating among people in the community with mild symptoms.

"It's essential that everyone remains social distancing of 1.5 metres and we all wash our hands regularly," Dr McAnulty said.

The state no longer has any COVID-19 patients in intensive care and 70 infected people are being treated by health authorities.

NSW has recorded 3109 cases in total after one previously confirmed case was excluded after further testing.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your state’s restrictions on gathering limits. Testing for coronavirus is now widely available across Australia.

If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080. The federal government's coronavirus tracing app COVIDSafe is available for download from your phone's app store.

SBS is committed to informing Australia’s diverse communities about the latest COVID-19 developments. News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch