ACT reports 46 new COVID-19 cases as territory prepares to open up

The ACT has recorded another death from COVID-19, taking its tally to seven in the current outbreak, six of those linked to an aged care facility.

Residents at the COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in Canberra.

Residents at the COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in Canberra. Source: AAP

Another COVID-19 death has been recorded in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), the seventh since the most recent outbreak began.

It comes as 46 new locally acquired cases were reported in the ACT on Thursday, the day before Canberra emerges from lockdown.

Health authorities have confirmed a man in his 80s died at an aged care facility in Canberra's north and was receiving end-of-life care.

There have now been six COVID-19 deaths associated with the Calvary Haydon Retirement Community.

Of the new cases, 30 were linked to known cases and 22 of those were household contacts.

Some 18 of the 46 new cases were in quarantine for all of their infectious period, while 16 were assessed as being a risk of transmission to others.

The number of patients in Canberra hospitals with COVID-19 now stands at 16, with six in intensive care and five on a ventilator.

ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said contact tracing efforts have revealed the source of the aged care outbreak was a patient, despite the first reported case of COVID-19 at the facility being a staff member.

"Residents do come and go, they may have gone to the hospital or out to other activities, depending on health care services," Ms Stephen-Smith told ABC Radio.

"It has been a difficult situation for family and friends for those in the facility."

The new death comes less than 24 hours before the ACT's lockdown will end on Friday.

While 99 per cent of eligible residents in the ACT are expected to be fully vaccinated by the end of November, Ms Stephen-Smith said modelling showed there would be a surge in new infections.

"What we're expecting, as restrictions ease, is to get up to 50 to 100 [daily cases] for a period, and then it will continue to increase," she said.

A decision was likely to be made soon on what cross-border travel would be possible with NSW once lockdown restrictions ease.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr had previously flagged free travel between two jurisdictions by Christmas.


Share
Published 14 October 2021 at 12:14pm
Source: AAP - SBS