Australia

ALP wants flu review in SA after 82 deaths

More than 80 people have died from flu in SA so far this year. (AAP)

South Australia's opposition says there are serious concerns about the government's handling of the state's horror flu season which has killed 82 people.

The alarming flu death toll in South Australia has prompted the opposition to call for an independent medical review of the handling of the horror flu season.

SA Health confirmed on Monday that 82 people had died so far this year as the total number of cases closes in on 20,000.

Acting Chief Medical Officer Nicola Spurrier said the majority of deaths had been people over 65.

At the same time last year, there had only been about 1500 confirmed flu cases.

Opposition Health Spokesman Chris Picton said there had been serious concerns raised over the government's handling of the flu season including the supply of vaccines.

He said a review could also consider if an awareness campaign launched on Sunday should have been brought forward.

"We need a proper independent review of the government's management this year to make sure we can learn the lessons for next year," Mr Picton said.

Dr Spurrier said the strain of flu circulating this season was no more virulent or deadly than previous years, with the large increase in cases partly attributed to a significantly early start to the season.

She said authorities were also happy with this year's vaccine which she said was "not a bad match" for the flu strains in Australia.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch