Australia's first offshore wind farm could be off the coast of South Gippsland in Victoria.
Australia's first offshore wind farm could be in Victoria. A proposal to build one moved a step forward in March with the federal government granting an exploration licence off the coast of South Gippsland.
The Star of the South project is:
* Australia's first proposed offshore wind farm
* If it proves feasible it would be built in the Bass Strait off the coast of South Gippsland
* Estimated to cost $8 billion
* The 2000MW project would include 250 turbines
* Estimated to produce one fifth of Victoria's electricity supply, powering 1.2 million homes
Reporter travelled to the UK and Europe courtesy of The Climate Council