Australia

Catholic institutions join redress scheme for abuse victims

The news has received mixed reactions. Source: AAP

Eight Catholic institutions are still to join the national redress scheme for victims of child sexual abuse.

Catholic institutions are beginning to join the national redress scheme for victims of child sexual abuse, five months after it opened.

Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher says 27 of the 35 dioceses and archdioceses which fall under the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference are now participating in the scheme.

Mr Fletcher expects the remaining eight to sign up soon.

Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher.
Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher.
AAP

The first Catholic religious order, the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), has also joined.

There are still about 150 Catholic orders which have not signed up.

"Many survivors of institutional child sexual abuse have been waiting for Catholic institutions to join the Redress Scheme since they announced their intention in May 2018," Mr Fletcher said.

"This is a good start and it's good news for those survivors who will now be able to have their applications processed."

The announcement comes after the first group of Anglican institutions signed up to the scheme last week.

The scheme can offer counselling, a direct response from responsible institutions and a redress payment.

The scheme opened on July 2 but many survivors have been waiting for Catholic institutions to join before they could lodge their claims.

Readers seeking support can contact the following services:

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch