Coronavirus

For the first time since June, Victoria has fewer than 200 active coronavirus cases

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews addresses the media in Melbourne. Source: AAP

The number of active cases in Victoria on Friday sat at 195 - the first time since 26 June that it has been below 200.

Victoria has recorded 11 new coronavirus cases, but for the third time in a week reported no additional deaths.

The new cases, confirmed by the Department of Health and Human Services on Friday, bring Melbourne's 14-day case average to 9.4, a slight drop from 9.7 on Thursday.

Twelve mystery cases have been recorded between 23 September and 6 October.

The city needs a 14-day average of five cases, and no more than five mystery cases during the same period, to further ease restrictions on 19 October.

The number of active Victorian cases is 195 and Premier Daniel Andrews said on Friday it is the first time since 26 June that it has been below 200.

Of the new cases, six are linked to complex cases. 

One is linked to the Chadstone cluster, taking that outbreak to 32 cases. It has spread to suburban Frankston and also Kilmore, 60km north of Melbourne.

"They are challenging, but we are throwing absolutely everything at [the outbreaks]," Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said.

Professor Sutton said 679 people had been tested in Kilmore over the last three days.

The Frankston cluster has 12 cases and seven of them are active.

Professor Sutton also confirmed an outbreak at Box Hill Hospital in Melbourne's east had grown to four cases, adding that staff at the hospital are being tested.

Box Hill was also the site of an outbreak in mid-July.

The state's death toll remains at 809 and the national figure is 897.

Mr Andrews also said on Friday the government had ordered an extra 1.2 million face masks.

On Sunday, Victoria's rules on masks will tighten and people can no longer substitute them with scarves or face shields.

Meanwhile, former health minister Jenny Mikakos has told the state's hotel quarantine inquiry that Mr Andrews' evidence about private security should be "treated with caution".

In her response to the inquiry's closing submissions, Ms Mikakos said it is "implausible" to suggest no one made the decision to use private security guards in the botched program.

Ms Mikakos resigned the day after Mr Andrews told the inquiry he held her accountable for the program, which has been blamed for the state's devastating second wave of coronavirus.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction's restrictions on gathering limits. 

If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080. News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.

Please check the relevant guidelines for your state or territory: NSW, VictoriaQueenslandWestern AustraliaSouth AustraliaNorthern TerritoryACTTasmania.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch