9 Oct 2014 - 3:59 PM  UPDATED 9 Oct 2014 - 5:41 PM

Queensland health authorities are believed to be investigating another suspected Ebola case.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young told a media conference this afternoon that a 57-year-old Cairns woman is being tested for the deadly Ebola virus.

Channel Seven is reporting that it is Red Cross volunteer nurse Sue Ellen Kovac.

Sue Ellen Kovack in a picture taken in Sierra Leone where she was working as an Ebola nurse. (Facebook)

The woman returned to Queensland on the weekend after spending one month in Sierra Leone working in an Ebola hospital.

She's now developed a low grade fever that led to her being admitted to Cairns Hospital this afternoon for assessment by an infectious diseases specialist.

Dr Young said the woman had been monitoring her health and contacted authorities on Thursday.

"This morning she rang up because she developed a low-grade fever of 37.6C," Dr Young said.

Blood has been taken and sent to Brisbane by plane for testing.

"There is the potential there so that's why we're treating this so seriously," Dr Young said.

However Dr Young said: "There is no risk to anyone in that community or any staff in that hospital."

Dr Young also said another doctor was going through home isolation in Brisbane at present.

The results are expected late on Thursday or in the early hours of Friday morning, with pathologists on standby to do the testing as soon as the blood sample arrives in Brisbane.

Dr Young said the woman had a flatmate but had not been unwell until this morning.

"Ebola virus is very difficult to transmit - it's not like the flu or measles."Dr Young also said there was no worry about passengers on the woman's flights home.

"There is absolutely no concern for any passenger on any plane she's been on because she did not have any symptoms at all when she was on those flights."

Australia has investigated three suspected cases of Ebola previously.

A woman was released from quarantine at a Perth hospital on September 23 after being cleared of the disease.

The woman had attended a conference in Africa.

And a one-year-old child was cleared of any infection after being taken to a Melbourne hospital on September 19 with suspicious symptoms.
The child had returned to Australia from west Africa five days earlier.

A third suspected case on the Gold Coast was cleared by tests after a man claiming to have spent time in Africa complained of vague symptoms while in police custody.