The federal government says it is investigating the case of a topAl-Qaeda recruiter from Yemen, who allegedly addressed Sydney's Lakemba mosque last year.
The federal government says it is investigating the case of a top Al-Qaeda recruiter from Yemen, who allegedly addressed young Australian muslims at Sydney's Lakemba mosque in February last year.
Anwar Awlaki has been described as the number one threat to the United States.
The CIA says he was a key figure behjind the September 11 hijackings, an influence on the alledged attempted bomber of a plane on Christmas Day last year, and the Major who was charged with killing 13 people at the Fort Hood military base in Texas in last November.
Now, its been revealed that Anwar Awlaki was allegedly in talks with an Australian Muslim Youth group.
According to a report in the Sydney Morning herald, Al-Awlaki delivered a telephone linked sermon from Yemen to hundreds of young Australian mulsims at Sydney's Lakemba mosque.
Prominent Islamic leader, Sheikh Taj Al-din Al Hilali says he is outraged that the known extremist tried to influence muslim youth.
"Anwar Al-Awlaki or any man like this, is dangerous for our children, our society, our community and our whole world", he told SBS.
The sermon has caused deep divisions within the mosque, and organisers of the Al-Awlaki sermon have been forced to step down - and according to Sheikh Hilali - now have no influence.
The director of Lakemba mosque said the board was having an emergency meeting on Thursday night to discuss the issue, and will release a statement by Wednesay morning.
Terrorism experts say this latest revelation is deeply concerning.