Former governor-general Peter Hollingworth says he's unaware of any Queensland police interest in claims he didn't act on sexual abuse allegations.
Former governor-general Peter Hollingworth says he's is yet to be approached by police, who are looking into claims he failed to act on sexual abuse allegations.
Queensland police say they have received information with respect to the matter.
"It is currently being reviewed by officers attached to State Crime Command," a spokesperson said on Wednesday.
The allegations relate to an accusation Dr Hollingworth was an accessory after the fact for failing to act on sexual abuse allegations, 7 News and the ABC report.
Dr Hollingworth issued a statement through his lawyer Bill Doogue on Wednesday, saying the news reports were surprising given the allegations "had been the subject of four inquiries in the past 15 years".
"None of those inquiries suggested he had committed any offence," Mr Doogue said in a statement.
"These inquiries included the Royal Commission which examined the issues at length.
"Dr Hollingworth says he is aware that some of his opponents have been making complaints to police for some time but he had never been approached or interviewed by police."
The former Brisbane archbishop became governor-general in 2001 before resigning in 2003 following pressure over his handling of child abuse cases.
He apologised in 2016 during the child sexual abuse royal commission for failing to take action against paedophile priest John Elliot.
The commission last year found Dr Hollingworth made a serious error in judgment in allowing Elliot to remain in the ministry following an abuse complaint.