Too busy juggling work and family to get any walking done? Try these tips.
Life is busy. Managing work, family and a social life can leave little time to exercise.
But the Heart Foundation has some simple tips to get you moving throughout the day.
- Get off the tram or bus two or three stops earlier and walk to the office. If you work in a multi-storey building, take the stairs instead of the lift. If your office is on an upper floor, use the stairs for some of the way.
- Make every trip to the office bathroom count. Use the one furthest from your desk. Or find one on a different floor, and use the stairs to get there. Doing a coffee run mid-morning? Make it your mission to try cafes a few streets away.
- After work, when you head to the supermarket or shopping centre, park in the furthest corner of the car park. You’ll be amazed how many more steps you’ll be taking.
- On the weekend, if you’re not going to carry heavy bags, walk to your local shops. Or park a few streets away from your favourite shopping strip. Skipping all that circling around to find a “good” park might even save you time.
- And when you’re at home, don’t sit down when phoning friends or family. Walk around while you’re talking. If weather permits, and you have a garden or pleasant outdoor area, take your phone outside.
For more information, visit walking.heartfoundation.org.au.
Catch up on part I and II of Insight's exercise special here: